Pages

April 02, 2012

Day 59, 15th October 2011. Grand Canyon - Paria, Utah

Had the best nights sleep ever in the hotel room. When I woke up I was so hot because I'd been between Gary and Kirsty all night, I had to jump out of the bed because I was boiling. Nick and Dean had to leave the room early because they were going on a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon, but the rest of us weren't going because we couldn't afford it. We just spent the next hour or so just showering and getting ready, making the most of the hotel shower before we had to go back to the campsite.

As most the others in our group had all gone on the helicopter flight too, we had some time to kill, so Gary and Kirsty of wanted to get a McDonalds breakfast (as usual) so we went there and they got some food and I got a frozen lemonade. We then walked back to camp and took down our tents and sorted all our stuff out while we waited for the others to get back.

After about an hour of driving we stopped for lunch, then drove another hour to a place called Horseshoe Bend. It was about 10 minutes walk from where the van was parked and we didn't really know what to expect.




It was so beautiful! It was a really pretty place that you would expect to see in a film or something. Gary of course got himself positioned in the most dangerous spot. One thing all of us from the UK said was that in England there would be loads of barriers around for 'health and safety' so it was cool that it was left all natural .




We spent about half an hour taking photos and looking around there. I really thought it was one of the most beautiful places we went to. I think because I had such high expectations for places like the Grand Canyon, and no expectations for places like this, that how nice it was really surprised me.




Sua being so close to the edge gives everyone a worry!!


Shadow star


Afterwards, when we got back in the van, we had 2 more stops this afternoon, one at Walmart and one at another supermarket. I don't know why we went to 2 food stops. Then we crossed back on ourselves and went into the time zone we had been in a few days ago so we lost on hour again. This was quite annoying as we had stopped so much today, the last thing we needed to do was lose time.

We got to the place we were staying at 6pm. It was a cowboy ranch owned by a guy named Easton, who was a friend of Art's and used to be a Trek America tour leader himself. When we got there we were told there was a little house thing with bunk beds that we could stay in for $10, but there were only 2 beds left in there. Kirsty took one bed and me and Gary said we would share the other, even though is was a single bed.

We had dinner cooked for us there which was really nice. It was basically the exact same thing we had last night at the cowboy steakhouse in the Grand Canyon. It was steak, jacket potato, corn on the cob and a biscuit, with chocolate brownies for dessert. It was so nice, we all really enjoyed it. After dinner I had a shower which was really annoying because it wouldn't get hot enough. Still, they were nice and big with lots of space to put your stuff and I didn't feel rushed like I normally do so it was good. 

Dean showing off his nails


We spent the evening in the 'Party Barn' which was a big barn with music and a pool table and stuff. Amelia got us all playing drinking games. There were some pretty crazy rules, at one point Gary had to keep downing his drink, and I had to be the 'King' and tell everyone what to do.







Dean had to do some dancing as part of the game




Dean was really drunk even before we started playing the game, so it wasn't a great night for him.



After the game was finished, there was a lot of drinking and dancing all night. 





Neither Dean or Amelia could remember dancing together until I showed them this photo




There was quite a bit of drama at the end of the night, that I tried to stay away from, but it ended with me and Steph having to carry dean to bed because he was so drunk and couldn't walk. He was being really funny and it made me feel better about what happened on my birthday when he had to walk me home, lol. He was meant to be sleeping on the top bunk but there was no way we were going to get him up there so we put him so sleep on the sofa. 

After we had done that I went to get Gary so that we could go to bed. As I got in my bunk bed, which was at the top, I had to turn my torch on so I could see what I was doing and it attracted loads of massive moths to me and they were flying all over me and one flew into my mouth as I tried to tell Gary what was happening (sorry, I know thats gross lol) thankfully I am not scared of moths. 

Formula 1 was just starting so Gary said he was going to sit up for a while and watch it before coming to bed. I told him that he should just lay in Dean's bed as he was not using it and it was right next to our one. I woke up a few hours later to find Gary asleep on the sofa next to Dean haha.

1 comment:

  1. lol @ the last sentence - guess they really did have a "bromance" ;)

    ReplyDelete