Pages

April 20, 2012

My thoughts on Trek America

So, now that I have come to the end of the Trek America part of my trip report, I thought I'd write a little bit about what it was like vs. my preconceptions and also just to sum up what an amazing time I had.

My first thing that I have to say is that anyone who is thinking about doing a tour with Trek America, do it! When we first started thinking about our trip, me and Gary were always planning to do it alone and not joining a tour group, because we wanted to do it 'properly' and not rely on other people. I am so glad we changed our minds and did Trek America instead. It was so easy and so well organized, and of course the people that we met made it an unforgettable experience.

The biggest concern I had before we went was the whole camping/group participation side of it which included cooking and cleaning for the group.
As for camping, I adjusted really well to it, just about every person I know laughed at the thought of me camping for 9 weeks, I hadn't even camped for one night before. I definitely overcame a lot of fears (I didn't get murdered, so it must have gone well) and I would actually say at this point in my life now, I miss camping and really want to go again. I loved spending so much time outdoors and sitting around the campfire, the only times that I hated camping is when it was raining or cold. Having to cook or do washing up for the group was shit, there is no denying it, but it was only a small part of what we had to do. I totally hated doing it when I wanted to be having fun instead, but I managed to get over it.

One thing that I wasn't expecting was how much money we would spend. The trip itself cost I think about £3500 per person, plus we had a $10 a day food kitty on top of that, plus of course we had to pay for all the activities we wanted to do, plus going out for meals on nights we weren't cooking, and of course we spent a lot of money on alcohol, which I do not regret at all because we had so many fun times. Gary and I are not really party people or drinkers, but we were on this trip. I think it was due to 2 reasons, one was of course the fun people we were with who drank a lot, and the second was the fact that we had spent so much time in our lives being hard, organized workers, that it was just so nice to not care about being hungover in the morning. We had the craziest nights of our lives and they are some of the best memories I have.

Of course I had mixed views on the tour leaders. Our first one Art, was great, and the 2nd one, Mark, was not so great. I wish we could have had a more consistent experience with the tour leaders because it definitely did make the second half of the trip not as good as it could have been, but then again, it could have been worse.

The places we got to visit were amazing, so many big famous cities and places mixed with random small towns and places we had never heard of. The only thing that could have made it better was to go to even more places, I'd have loved to go to Tennessee, and seen more of Texas and Arizona. I also would have loved to go further north than New York and go to Maine or one of the other states up there that look really nice, but there will always be a next time. Of course I would have also liked to stay in each place longer, but it was really impressive the amount of places we got to visit in 9 weeks. I got to see places I'd always dreamed of seeing and more.

Trek America definitely made me enjoy more activities that I never thought I would. All the hiking and the beautiful scenery we saw, has given me a thirst for adventure and makes me want to spend more time in natural places like that. I really want to visit more of the American National Parks because I found all the ones we went to really enjoyable. It's so cool how in one country there can be so many different landscapes, I just can't wait to go back and see more.

Finally, the thing that made our Trek America experience most enjoyable, was the people that we got to share it with. I feel so lucky to have met them all, and know that we really will be friends forever. Before we went on the trip I was anxious about making friends with the people we would meet, but they were all so amazing and friendly that I forgot about those fears on day 1. A lot of people say that you make really good friends with people when you travel and then as soon as you get home you kind of lose touch. Our experience has been the opposite, we are still the best of friends and plan to be for the rest of our lives. I can't wait to go to Australia and see all my lovely friends that live over there again, because I miss them so much.
Definitely the hardest part of it was saying goodbye to them all and it sucks to not see them every day when you are used to spending every minute with them, but I am just to happy that I got the chance to meet them and got to make friends that I will have forever that I would not have met otherwise.

So that's it really, just to finish, I will say Trek America was the best experience of my life, and of course getting married on the trip made it extra special. I will always remember it and look back on those 9 weeks as the happiest memories of my life. TRAILBLAZERS FOREVER!






































8 comments:

  1. :)

    If it didn't involve camping (and if I could afford it obviously! lol) I would totally do a tour like this! Thank you for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just stubbled across your blog, must say a great read for anyone consindering doing the trek.
    i am looking at doing this sometime next year, and i hope you dont mind me asking
    but how much did you spend in total for the trip.
    i know you are looking at £3800 for the trip and then your flight
    but just as a idea was wondering what you spent on food and drink, activities and other stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and thanks, I really wanted to read about other peoples adventures on Trek America before we went, but there didn't seem to be much about, so I'm glad you have found my blog :)
      I still haven't worked out how much money we spent, I think it would be too much of a shock for me, but we took about £3500 for the both of us and that was gone within about 6 weeks. Some others took a lot less and managed with it, they just chose not to eat out as much or spend as much on drinking, plus we did quite a lot of shopping too. We spent a lot on food, we'd spend like $20 a day at gas stations on snacks and stuff that we didn't need, so I think we were an extreme case of spending too much money.
      In terms of the optional activities, before we left, we planned on doing ALL of them, but when it came down to it there were some we didn't do. It was hard for us to plan our money when we were there because some days we were in a National Park all day and wouldn't spend anything, but then there were days where we had a free day to explore a city, and spend loads on 3 meals, transport and activities. It was really expensive, but it was worth it, I'd have paid even more than we already did to do it again!
      Is it the Trailblazer trek you are thinking of doing? we had the best time ever, you will not regret it for a second! Of course if you have any more questions I'd be happy to help!

      Delete
  3. Hi thanks for your reply, yeah its the trailblazer i am thinking of
    planning on doing it next year as its my 30th this year so a little mid life crisis thing

    thanks for your thoughts on the spending money i was thinking about £4000 do you think that would be enough, i just wanna make sure i have enough as this will probally be my only chance of travel at length so i dont wanna hold back

    also do you know of any other good blogs on the trailblazer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I think £4000 would be plenty, bear in mind that all the money we took was for 2 of us, so it was double of everything. £4000 should be enough to do loads of activities and go out and everything else.

    I actually don't know of any other blogs on the trailblazer, which is a shame as I'd love to read some!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. big thanks and congrats on the wedding

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks for the blog about Trek America, it was really interesting and I'm glad you had a good time even though there were some ups and downs. I am seriously thinking about booking the Great 48 trip with Trek America, however after reading your blog I am a little concerned about the tour leaders…..did you ever speak to Trek America about Mark as judging by your report, he seemed quite unprofessional. Thanks Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, i was considering doing this trek during the summer break whilst i am at university but as i will not be able to drink out there until i'm 21 i am worried that i won't fit in with the group if they are all older and going to pubs and bars. Do you think this would've been a problem in your group?

    ReplyDelete